Thanks for visiting Sophia Tallon's blog! We review books, audio books, screenplays, films, web series, plus much more! We also do interviews, spotlights, and guest posts! Please see our Contact/FAQ's page! Make sure you follow us on Bloglovin' or by email! Posts go live daily at 12 a.m. Central Daylight Time.

Saturday 13 February 2016

(AUTHOR INTERVIEW) Lillia Fabry

Today I will be interviewing Lillia Fabry! Enjoy, and remember if you ever want to be interviewed Contact Me





First of all, tell us a little about yourself?

I’m from Houston and a sports fan, which makes it fairly difficult, since all three of our teams are good enough to get into the playoffs but nothing good ever comes of it. I’m fairly random, i.e. I’m a member of a writers’ group and ping pong league, I have Sarah Brightman and Slipknot on my workout playlist, I can make crusted salmon with a honey glaze and imitation Big Macs, and some of my most prized possessions are signed copies of “Astonishing X-men” (Joss Whedon) and “Adios, America” (Ann Coulter), who are probably as far apart politically as two can get.

What inspired you to become an author?

It wasn’t so much an inspiration as a mental need, much like a bodily function. If I don’t write and write often, the stories inside my head get jumbled and become intertwined making it difficult to separate them from the “real” world.

What was the main inspiration for your most recent book?
It stemmed from a blog post on abortion in which I had to write about the topic while offending as few people as possible, which led to the idea of “what if there were circumstances in which abortion was mandatory even if the parents didn’t want to?”

Who influenced you the most in life?

Is it wrong to say Me? Mostly because I’m with Me all of the time, and Me gives me lots of ideas to write on, as well as loses her temper if I don’t do it with the quality and quantity of her liking.

What is the kindest thing someone has ever said and or done for you? 

Writing wise, I truly appreciate the people who take the time to both read my ramblings and give me feedback on it, even if it is unfavorable. Can’t think of a better way to improve as a writer. I also love when someone randomly compliments my writing – or is full of pimp juice as I like to call it - because it helps gives confidence after unfavorable feedback.

Do you have a favourite author? (Or name a few)

Including the aforementioned ones who were kind enough to scribble their names for me, there is also Margaret Atwood, Ayn Rand, Terry Goodkind keeps me reading even though I can’t quite put my finger on why, and there’s a pooh-ton of screenwriters worth checking out, even if it’s not your area, see Jane Espenson, Jeanne Veillette Bowerman, Tim Minear, John J. Gray, and others.

What is the best writing advice you have ever received?

Speaking of Tim Minear, he once gave some advice I’ll never forget and do my best to paraphrase: “there’s a difference between a story and a bunch of stuff that happens.”

Did you always want to be a writer and if not what did was the first thing you wanted to be or do?
Yes! I also applied to be an FBI agent but think I failed the character test, which probably helps as a writer.

Do you like to listen to music while you write? If so, who are your favourite artists?
Yes! I listen to music that captures the mood of whatever scene I’m working on. For example, for my latest work, I used “All Together” by Stars in Stereo in a scene, so I listen to it whenever I write, rewrite, or edit it. “Lost and Found” by Katie Herzig is good for writing optimistic conclusions to stories, and “Face to Face” by Downfall 2012 is just damn good pump-up music.

What helps you write when you're stuck and or have writer's block?
Oh, how I wish there was a trick to getting unstuck. I usually write when my scheduled blocks are and just back track a few pages to remind myself where I was to go from there.

After a long day of writing etc, do you have a favourite tv show you like to watch?

Right now I’m very into “Reign,” I use “Agent Carter” and “Supergirl” as platforms for “if I were going to write this, how would I?” and I love the cowardice the main character showed in the first episode of “The Shanarra Chronicles” and plan to emulate it in the future.

What are you working on currently?

Limited local screenplay with a logline of: The women known only as Allure, Cerebellum, Dominance, and Divinity are held in an underground compound by a morally ambiguous man to atone for their flaws with the promise that all four must work together to leave – or only one will.

When you're not writing, or working, what do you like to do?

A mix of ping pong, beer, pelting my nephews with dodgeballs, blackjack, weight lifting, and still waiting on fulfilling my New Year’s resolution of assembling the bike I bought on Black Friday and riding it.

What are some of your most favourite books of all time?

The Handmaid’s Tale, Watchmen (comic books count!), Confessions, Godless, and the Aurian series by Maggie Furey had me turning the pages and turning off my phone. Awesome lesser known books are “Prisoner of Trebekistan” by Bob Harris (and I don’t even like Jeopardy) and “Keeping my Balance” by Stephanie Torreno.

Which of your characters do you love the most and why?
The Fall character in “Ordinance 93” is one of those voices that once you awaken in your imagination it’s hard to shut up afterwards, especially for her dollar savvy and unwillingness to take any kind of crap.

Which of your books are you most proud of?

I only have the one (see above). More to come soon! However, I also have short stories published in Tides of Possibility (Skipjack Publishing) and The Collection (Houston Writers House).

What is the title of the last book you read/was it good or bad?

I’m currently reading “The Art of the Deal” by Trump. What? It’s literally about making deals and has very little politics in it. Also good for writers because it teaches you to negotiate from a position of strength and confidence, which you will need to become a huge success.

Is there anything specific you'd like to try writing about in the future?
I always liked the idea of someone who sees dead people making money off of it…until it goes horribly wrong.

What is an interesting or hidden talent you have?
I can do six pull ups and am aiming for ten because that’s what Hilary Swank said she could do when she was filming “Million Dollar Baby.”

If you could have one super power, what would it be and why would you choose it?

To cure disease, but if I’m being selfish, to fly.

Is there anything else you'd like my readers to know?

Sophia is super cool when it comes to helping hopefuls like myself. We also share a love of filmmaking. My short films are available for viewing on lfabry.com and I’d love to know where I can see Sophia’s.

Where can we find you on social media?(please provide links)

Ordinance 93 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ordinance-93-L-Fabry-ebook/dp/B019SM31OC/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8


Twitter: @lfabry93


Facebook: http://facebook.com/ordinance93


Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7553660.L_Fabry


Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+LFabry/posts


Official site: http://www.lfabry.com/


Make sure to check out Lillia's book Ordinance 93!

1 comment:

  1. Thx so much for the interview! Also, if your readers want to download the 1st chapter of "Ordinance 93" at no charge, they can download the pdf

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know what you think!