Thanks for visiting Sophia Tallon's blog! We review books, audio books, screenplays, films, web series, plus much more! We also do interviews, spotlights, and guest posts! Please see our Contact/FAQ's page! Make sure you follow us on Bloglovin' or by email! Posts go live daily at 12 a.m. Central Daylight Time.

Wednesday 15 July 2015

(AUTHOR INTERVIEW) MaryJo Dawson

Today I will be interviewing the author MaryJo Dawson!


First of all, tell us a little about yourself!
Okay.... mid-west upbringing, oldest of six kids, went to nursing school in Milwaukee in the 'old' days. I'm not kidding.  Have you seen Granite Flats?  That's what nurses used to dress like when I was in training. I've traveled a great deal and lived in the Philippines when the revolution took place there and the Marco' were ousted - you know, where all those jokes came from about all the shoes in the palace?  I don't like hot weather, especially humid hot, so living here at the foothills of the Rockies with its higher elevation and cooler nights suits me fine.  I'm happily married, have 2 sons, a grandson, and some wonderful extended family.


What inspired you to become an author? 
Nothing.  I took the plunge because after spending quite a lot of time
writing a mystery of my own to see if I could, 3 people who read it said they thought it was good enough to publish.


What was the main inspiration for your book?
A love of the old fashioned British mysteries of the mid- twentieth century. I couldn't duplicate those, but wanted to write a good mystery with interesting yet believable main characters.


Who influenced you the most in life?
There is no one person that stands out, there are several.  God has blessed me by putting some people in the right place at the right time. My parents were good people and raised us well. I have a few old chums from snowsuit days that aren't rich and famous but fantastic human beings who have enriched my life.  And so it goes. My husband is a soul mate to me, we are very different but a good match. I've had several great mentors and advisors since entering the world of publishing my books.


What is the kindest thing someone has ever said and or done for you?
Forgiven me when I was foolish, unkind, and plain wrong.


Do you have a favourite author? (Or name a few)
Dorothy Sayers, Josephine Tey, Brock and Bodie Thoene, David McCullough.


What is the best writing advice you have ever received?
Edit, edit, edit.


Do you like to listen to music while you write? If so, who are your favourite artists?
I do not, because inevitably I am listening to the music which in turn leads my mind to wander. I do like music, though, several kinds.  I gravitate toward classical these days.


What helps you write when you're stuck and or have writer's block?
Getting away from the computer.  Taking a walk is good.


After a long day of writing etc, do you have a favourite tv show you like to watch?
No.


What are you working on currently?
Nothing on paper, only thoughts in my head.  I will not start anything else until fall, but focus on marketing the 5 books in the series that are now available.


When you're not writing, or working, what do you like to do?
I Love to hike, so if I'm not around it is likely I'm out on a trail somewhere.  Also rating high is relaxing before the start of the day in my favorite coffee shop, messing with my flowers in the yard, lots of correspondence with family and friends via e-mail, and sometimes puttering in the kitchen.  I make a very moist and delicious chocolate cake. My nursing career has ended, so I've volunteered here and there.... currently at a used bookstore. Our evening routine here is to relax with a favorite old movie or maybe Antiques Roadshow.


What are some of your most favourite books of all time?
The Lord of the Rings trilogy by Tolkien, Truman by David McCullough, and all of the Lord Peter Whimsey books by Dorothy Sayers.  


Which of your characters do you love the most and why?
You know, I think I like Sally, George, and Anne, equally well!  They have all become very dear to me

Which of your books are you most proud of?
So far, probably the 4th, The Truth About Charlie.  That one took the most time and effort to work everything out, and that happened.


What is the title of the last book you read/was it good or bad?
Yesterday I finished The House on the Strand by Du Maurier.  Yes, it could be categorized as a 'good' read.


Is there anything specific you'd like to try writing about in the future?
Not really.  My specific writing goal pertains to quality rather than subject matter.


What is an interesting or hidden talent you have?
As in being a horse whisperer or being able to touch my nose with my tongue?  Nothing has shown itself.

If you could have one super power, what would it be and why would you choose it?
To be able to fall asleep in fifteen seconds flat and sleep for eight hours straight.  The why to that is obvious. Since all of the super powers that most people think of can be so blatantly abused, I don't want them.


Is there anything else you'd like my readers to know?
My Sally Nimitz mysteries are very enjoyable reads for female sleuth mystery lovers who want a little more character development in their stories, and who like variation in the scenarios from book to book.
There are five now, the latest a brand new release, Did Lucy Bedford Have to Die?  There are reviews up on Amazon, Goodreads, and also a few on Smashwords.  They are available in soft cover and ebook formats.


Where can we find you on social media?
I am active on the Amazon cozy author forums, and on Goodreads  Anyone can go to Author Stand on Goodreads to contact me, or find my comments on the Cozy mystery discussion groups. No, I don't do some of the other big social networks, being rather a private person.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your interview, Mary Jo and Sophia, and loved learning more about Mary Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delighted to learn more about MaryJo Dawson. Thanks for the opportunity. I enjoy her mysteries for the clean content, the superb characterizations, and a logical resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the comment "Anonymous" made. I'll be reading more by MaryJo.
    Marja McGraw

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know what you think!