Thanks for visiting Sophia Tallon's blog! We review books, audio books, screenplays, films, web series, plus much more! We also do interviews, spotlights, and guest posts! Please see our Contact/FAQ's page! Make sure you follow us on Bloglovin' or by email! Posts go live daily at 12 a.m. Central Daylight Time.

Wednesday 27 May 2015

(BOOK) The Good, the Bad, and the Furry - Tom Cox

Summary:
Meet THE BEAR - a cat who carries the weight of the world on his furry shoulders, and whose wise, owl-like eyes seem to ask, Can you tell me why I am a cat, please? Like many intellectuals, The Bear would prefer a life of quiet solitude with plenty of time to gaze forlornly into space and contemplate society's ills. Unfortunately he is destined to spend his days surrounded by felines of a significantly lower IQ ...RALPH: handsome, self-satisfied tabby, terrified of the clothes horse. SHIPLEY: mouthy hooligan and champion mouser, rendered insensible by being turned upside-down. ROSCOE: fiercely independent kitten, tormented by her doppelganger in the mirror. And then there's Tom, writing with his usual wit and charm about the unexpected adventures that go hand in hand with a life at the beck and call of four cats ...or three cats and a sensitive poet who just happens to be a foot high and covered in fur.

Date Reviewed: 2/16/15
Stars: FIVE
Should You Read This: YES
Age Range: 14+
Review:
Firstly, I must say that I have had nine cats so far in my life of 17 years. Now four are gone and I have five left (two are bonkers mad). So, I love cats and all animals. The last book about a cat that I read was Dewey by Vicki Myron. I had high hopes for it which were dashed by the depressing author. I was wary about another cat book but this one sounded rather good! So, I read it in four days. After only one page I knew I loved it. Tom Cox writes about his cats and their entanglement in his life, twining the two together to make a humorous masterpiece of a book. There was something laugh-worthy on almost every page, adorable photos, and things that constantly reminded me of my cats. Now that I have read this, I will certainly read Tom's other books. On an end note, I used to have a cat named Violet with owl eyes like Tom's 'The Bear'. She has been gone for several years now but my mum and I always think fondly on the way she'd stare at you and make you feel as if she could see through to your soul. Instead of 'a little bloke inside' like 'The Bear' she probably had a large diva inside (wearing a feather boa and an evening gown).

*I received this copy through goodreads 'first reads'!*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know what you think!