Thanks for visiting Sophia Tallon's blog! We review books, audio books, screenplays, films, web series, plus much more! We also do interviews, spotlights, and guest posts! Please see our Contact/FAQ's page! Make sure you follow us on Bloglovin' or by email! Posts go live daily at 12 a.m. Central Daylight Time.

Friday 26 June 2015

(AUTHOR INTERVIEW) Horace Crenshaw, Jr

Today I will be interviewing Horace Crenshaw, Jr! Enjoy, and remember if you ever want to be interviewed Contact Me
First of all, tell us a little about yourself!  
Originally, I am from a small city called Meridian, Mississippi. I come from an educated family, both my parents were school teachers. My dad was a high school football coach, physical education and a health teacher. I have one brother, who is also an author. Now, I live in Stafford, Virginia with my wife of 11 years and our dog, Bo (a Shih Tzu). We have one daughter who is a rising sophomore in college. I love sports especially golf, basketball, and football. Also, I really enjoying meeting new people and traveling to new places.

What inspired you to become an author?

Actually, there were several events and people that inspired me to become an author. Interestingly, I wrote for my school newspaper, The Wildcat, as a sports contributor. This was my first experience writing for the public. Ironically, I was on the football team and track/field team so I had a unique perspective. My mother and younger brother were really influential in my pursuit of becoming an author as well.

What was the main inspiration for your book, Blowing Sandstorm?

Actually, I wrote the outline for Blowing Sandstorm during my first deployment in Iraq in 2003. We were going through such a tumultous period and I just had to write about it. However, when I returned back home to the United States, I put the manuscript away in a footlocker and  saved it also on the hard drive of my laptop.  About a year ago, I was in a period of transition in my life and I had time to reflect on my experiences in life. With God’s help, I reflected on how I was able to persevere in the midst of difficult circumstances as a commander of an Army Reserve Petroleum Unit during the initial stages of Operation Iraqi Freedom. So, I decided to finish my book that I had written the outline for back in 2003. Thus, Blowing Sandstorm was created.


Who influenced you the most in life?

 I would have to say my mother. I watched her persevere and provide for me and my younger brother after her and my dad separated and ultimately divorced. She taught us godly principles and ensured that we stayed focus even though we were going through a traumatic time as a family.

What is the kindest thing someone has ever said and or done for you?

That’s a good one. The kindest thing that anyone has ever said to me is “ I appreciate all that you do and thank you”. A thank you goes a long way in my book. Personally, I think that being kind and saying “thank you” has become somewhat of a lost art in this world. There have been so many instances in the past that people have done nice things for me. I recall how my wife cooks and cleans around the house without me ever saying a word. To me, that is the kindest thing that you could ever do for someone. She does this whether or say “thank you” or not.


Do you have a favourite author? (Or name a few)

There are several authors that I like. I enjoy books by Bishop T.D Jakes and those written by Tony Dungy. If I am not reading a spiritual, religious book, then I enjoy reading autobiographies and memoirs.


What is the best writing advice you have ever received?

The best writing advice I received was from my younger brother who is also an author. He expressed to me the marketing aspect of my book and to really know the genre the book is focused on.


Do you like to listen to music while you write? If so, who are your favourite artists?

Actually, I don’t listen to music when I write because I like to be totally focused on my thoughts and how what message I would like to convey to the reader of my book.


After a long day of writing etc, do you have a favourite tv show you like to watch?

No. There is not a favorite TV show. However, if it’s related to sports, I will watch it just to relax my mind.


What are you working on currently?

 I am not currently working on another book at this time.



When you're not writing, or working, what do you like to do?

Play golf and go to the gym.


What are some of your most favourite books of all time?

 Left Behind Series Books
The Bible


What is the title of the last book you read/was it good or bad?

 Lay it down by Randall Cunningham (former NFL Quarterback). It is an excellent book.


Is there anything specific you'd like to try writing about in the future?

Yes, I would like to write some children’s books. Actually, when I was a kid, I wrote some stories about a ficticious horse by the name of Hap. Once I locate those manuscripts, I will be getting into Children’s Books.


What is an interesting or hidden talent you have?

I feel like I have so many interesting/hidden talents. So, there is not one in particular that I can narrow down.


If you could have one super power, what would it be and why would you choose it?

Actually, I would want the power of Superman to be able to fly over the world.


Is there anything else you'd like my readers to know?

I would like readers to know that Blowing Sandstorm is a thought proving book as well as compelling story about me and my unit’s experience in Iraq. However, it is meant to convey that message that regardless of your situation in life that you should always maintain faith. This is your extra boost.



Where can we find you on social media?

Website: www.blowingsandstormhc.tateauthor.com  
"Like" my Facebook Page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blowing-Sandstorm/1410495122583034  
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1680283766  
Amazon Author Page: amazon.com/author/horacecrenshaw


Make sure you check out Horace's book,
Blowing Sandstorm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know what you think!