Thanks for visiting Sophia Tallon's blog! We review books, audio books, screenplays, films, web series, plus much more! We also do interviews, spotlights, and guest posts! Please see our Contact/FAQ's page! Make sure you follow us on Bloglovin' or by email! Posts go live daily at 12 a.m. Central Daylight Time.

Friday 12 June 2015

5 Books I Bought Last Weekend!

So, last weekend I went to Houston on Friday cos my mum needed to go there and I went to Austin on Sunday cos I had an audition to be in a music video. After all that, of course I went on a book hunt at Half-Price Books twice! And now...here is what I bought and how much I paid for them.

1) The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger
I got this one on Friday for $1 and it is a paperback. I will be reviewing this along with the film later this year!
Summary:
A delightfully dishy novel about the all-time most impossible boss in the history of impossible bosses. Andrea Sachs, a small-town girl fresh out of college, lands the job “a million girls would die for.” Hired as the assistant to Miranda Priestly, the high-profile, fabulously successful editor of "Runway "magazine, Andrea finds herself in an office that shouts "Prada! Armani! Versace!" at every turn, a world populated by impossibly thin, heart-wrenchingly stylish women and beautiful men clad in fine-ribbed turtlenecks and tight leather pants that show off their lifelong dedication to the gym. With breathtaking ease, Miranda can turn each and every one of these hip sophisticates into a scared, whimpering child.

2) King Dork - Frank Portman
I got this one on Friday for $2 and it is a paperback as well. I will also be reviewing this later this year!
 
Summary:
In this coming-of-age, rock-and-roll, Da Vinci Code-style tale, high school loser Tom Henderson discovers his deceased father's copy of The Catcher in the Rye and finds himself in the middle of several interlocking conspiracies and at least half a dozen mysteries.

3) 13 Little Blue Envelopes - Maureen Johnson
I got this one on Sunday for $1 and it is a paperback. I haven't read anything by Maureen Johnson yet except her short story in Let it Snow which I already reviewed here. Plus one of my friends had told me I should read it so look forward to a review later this year!
 
Summary:
Inside little blue envelope 1 are $1,000 and instructions to buy a plane ticket. In envelope 2 are directions to a specific London flat. The note in envelope 3 tells Ginny: Find a starving artist. Because of envelope 4, Ginny and a playwright/thief/ bloke–about–town called Keith go to Scotland together, with somewhat disastrous–though utterly romantic–results. But will she ever see him again? Everything about Ginny will change this summer, and it's all because of the 13 little blue envelopes. 

4) Vengeance Bound - Justina Ireland
I got this on Sunday for $1 and it is a perfect hardcover! I swear! I even saw the exact same one for $8.99 with the regular books! Anyhow, look for a review here later this year!

 
Summary:
The Goddess Test meets Dexter in an edgy, compelling debut about one teen’s quest for revenge… no matter how far it takes her. Cory Graff is not alone in her head. Bound to a deal of desperation made when she was a child, Cory’s mind houses the Furies—the hawk and the serpent—lingering always, waiting for her to satisfy their bloodlust. After escaping the asylum where she was trapped for years, Cory knows how to keep the Furies quiet. By day, she lives a normal life, but by night, she tracks down targets the Furies send her way. And she brings down Justice upon them.

5) A Hitch at the Fairmont - Jim Averbeck
I got this on Sunday for $1 and it is also a perfect hardcover! I like Alfred Hitchcock plus it looked fun, look for a review here later this year!

Summary:
An intrepid boy teams up with Alfred Hitchcock himself in this rollicking mystery rife with action, adventure, intrigue, and all the flavor of film noir. After the mysterious death of his mother, eleven-year-old Jack Fair is whisked away to San Francisco's swanky Fairmont Hotel by his wicked Aunt Edith. There, he seems doomed to a life of fetching chocolates for his aunt and her pet chinchilla. Until one night, when Aunt Edith disappears, and the only clue is a ransom note written... in chocolate? Suddenly, Jack finds himself all alone on a quest to discover who kidnapped Aunt Edith and what happened to his mother. Alone, that is, until he meets an unlikely accomplice: Alfred Hitchcock himself! The two embark on a madcap journey full of hidden doorways, secret societies, cryptic clues, sinister villains, and cinematic flair.

For just six dollars, it's not bad! And that, my darlings, is how you buy books! At least that's how I buy books...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know what you think!